General Operations Located on an 80-acre campus in Mesa, Arizona, Banner Desert Medical Center is one of Arizona's largest and most comprehensive hospitals and is recognized by U.S. News and World Report as one of Phoenix's Best Hospitals. We provide an abundance of exceptional opportunities with more than 600 licensed beds, including over 100 dedicated to children. Areas of excellence include high-risk pregnancy and neonatal care, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics, cardiology, oncology and emergency medicine. With 21 operating rooms, we offer a full range of surgical specialties and advanced technology that includes the daVincir Surgical System. About Banner Cardon Children's Medical Center If you desire to provide the best care possible to the most vulnerable patients, come to Cardon Children's Medical Center in Mesa, Ariz. Within our 248-bed, state-of-the-art facility, specially trained nurses, physicians and other clinical professionals utilize the most advanced technology - including iCare ICU monitoring and robotic surgery - to provide high quality, child-friendly, family-centered care. Our facilities feature a recently expanded 104-bed NICU, a 24-bed PICU, six pediatric ORs and a 26-bed ED. We also offer dedicated pediatric rehab, radiology, oncology and hematology capabilities. With clinical diversity, exceptional training programs and a supportive culture, this is a place where you can grow in your career as you help our very special patients.
POSITION SUMMARY This position provides leadership of culinary service staff in assigned areas while working as a member of the culinary service team. Assures that all quality, regulatory, menu and customer service standards are continuously met in the course of the group's daily work.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Independently and effectively leads and oversees daily service while working in various roles in Culinary Services. Uses good judgment to make appropriate decisions regarding daily work and staff needs. Appropriately communicates information to management as needed.
2. Maintains food handling and sanitation standards to meet licensing agency requirements. Reports potential violations and training needs to management.
3. Resolves customer problems and supports staff development in customer service skills. Trains others in work processes and the delivery of customer service.
4. Inventories food and supplies in assigned areas; determines ordering and food production quantities based upon established par levels and special needs. Works within budget and food cost guidelines. Resolves minor issues with vendors.
5. Prepares all food items as required by production forecasts and recipes.
6. Performs work in service areas and/or preparation areas at various work stations. Resolves minor problems with patient menus, trays and/or meal service.
7. Assists with cleaning and sanitation of equipment and work areas as needed. May provide training/direction/coordination of food services for catered events and perform billing reporting.
8. Participates in department meetings and training sessions.
9. Must be able to work independently while overseeing work of others in any or all areas of Culinary Service operations. This position communicates with and makes decisions for/with customers, visitors, patients, physicians, vendors, drivers, employees and management.
High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge.
Must possess the knowledge and abilities in culinary services normally acquired with one or more years of experience in similar food and customer service work. Must have the ability to learn and operate computer software, email, and point of sale systems. Must have excellent communication and customer service skills as well as the ability to use good judgment in resolving problems and handling employee conflicts. Requires previous experience and/or education in a variety of food preparation techniques, and event cooking/meal planning where appropriate. Must be able to inventory food and supplies, count money and perform mathematical calculations and possess the ability to learn food handling regulations and pass certification tests as required. Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital or at the Boswell Skilled Nursing Facility must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
Must be able to operate all onsite food service equipment, including stoves, ovens, steam-jacketed kettles, tilt skillet, broiler, steam table, grill, deep fryer, slicer, Buffalo Chopper, mixer, food carts, dish racks, cleaning equipment and hazardous chemicals used in cleaning and sanitation. Office equipment such as computer, phone, fax/copying machine, and retail service equipment such as point of sale registers, beverage and ice cream dispensers, chaffing dishes, serving utensils.
Previous supervisory experience. Additional experience in cooking and customer service.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.