Under general supervision of a Nurse Manager and according to established Hospital and nursing department policies and procedures, the Unit Secretary performs a variety of duties including compiling, transcribing, preparing, and maintaining records in a specific nursing area or unit. Provides information and communication services to visitors and staff. Assists nursing staff in maintaining efficient and effective operations on the unit.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Transcription: A. Accurately transcribes physician orders and notifies the appropriate nursing staff. Initiates and maintains patient care Kardex. Recopies MAR (Medication Administration Record) forms. B. Enters and coordinates computer data on all patients in the unit.
2. Communication / Coordination: A. Coordinates with other Hospital departments, such as Radiology, Housekeeping, Laboratories, Social Services, etc. to request and obtain supplies and services. Works with nursing staff to coordinate patient transfers to and from the unit. B. Serves as the unit's communication person, answering phone calls, taking and relaying messages. Answers questions of visitors, physicians, or other departments in person or by phone. Initiates emergency protocol under the direction of a physician or nurse. C. Receives and directs visitors and family members. Provides routine information regarding Hospital and unit procedures.
3. Chart / Record Maintenance: A. Initiates, maintains, and updates patient charts, inserting appropriate forms, ancillary department reports, consults, etc. B. Rearranges order of charts for medical records when patient is discharged. Ensures that charts for transfer patients are copied prior to transfer to other facilities.
4. Unit Management Assistance: A. Ensures that the unit is adequately stocked with necessary supplies and equipment. Completes appropriate requisitions and/or charge slips, obtaining proper approvals. B. Functions as resource person and trouble shooter for computer related issues for the unit. Accesses patient data for nursing and medical staff as needed. C. Maintains work area on nursing unit in a neat and orderly condition.
5. Orientation: A. Assists with orientation of new employees to the functioning of the nursing station and the transcription of orders. Performs other duties as required or directed.
Onboarding Process: Please be advised that candidates must successfully complete a background check and pre-employment health screening which includes a drug screen.
â�¢ Excellent computer skills; MediTech preferred
â�¢ Knowledge of medical terminology
â�¢ Experience in an administrative capacity in an acute care setting
â�¢ Great interpersonal skills; ability to work well with patients, visitors, medical staff, physicians
Primary Location: Framingham, Massachusetts
Facility: MetroWest Framingham Union Hospital
Job Type: Full-time
Shift Type: Days
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet Healthcare Corporation (NYSE: THC) is a diversified healthcare services company headquartered in Dallas with 112,000 employees. Through an expansive care network that includes United Surgical Partners International, we operate 65 hospitals and approximately 510 other healthcare facilities, including surgical hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care and imaging centers and other care sites and clinics. We also operate Conifer Health Solutions, which provides revenue cycle management and value-based care services to hospitals, health systems, physician practices, employers and other clients. Across the Tenet enterprise, we are united by our mission to deliver quality, compassionate care in the communities we serve.