Location: Kingston, New York
The Physical Therapist performs evaluations and treatments with patients in accordance with the diagnosis and prescription of referring physicians. Treatment is provided in the hospital, rehabilitation department and or outpatient setting. Does related work as required.
- Takes patient histories and performs physical assessment to evaluate physical conditions and to adjust therapy plans;
- Evaluates the need for and determines proper rehabilitation equipment and prostheses needed by the patient to improve mobility;
- Observes patient responses to therapy and makes referrals to the appropriate discipline for treatment, if needed;
- Utilizes appropriate equipment for maximum functioning of the patient;
- Performs and educates patient with muscle re-education, therapeutic exercise, coordination and balance exercises, relaxation techniques, and all forms of neuromuscular facilitation;
- Administers hot and cold packs, contrast baths, ultrasound and electro diagnostics as appropriate and in accordance with NYS guidelines.
- Instructs patients in the safe use and care of durable medical equipment including canes, crutches, walkers, braces and/or prostheses.
- Instructs and reinforces with patients the goals and procedures used in their rehabilitation program to promote understanding, motivation, and independence;
- Maintains accurate patient records and statistics;
- Serves as resource for other health care staff, family members, and referring physicians or agency staff.
- Competently and successfully treat in all areas of hospital including all mobility and treatments in ICU
- Ability to independently problem solve and reprioritize as additional patients are added to the caseload
- Ability to manage and articulate clinical concerns professionally to challenging staff and family members
- Appropriate escalation to Supervisors and Director as appropriate
- Performs 1- 2 in-services/case study for staff per year, on topic of interest
- Successfully mentoring of 1 full time student per year
- Mentoring newer staff formally and informally
- Demonstrates greater than the minimum 36 credits of continuing education credit within a 3-year period
- Evidence of lecturing to outside disciplines (nursing lectures, team meetings, etc.)
- Demonstrate an additional administrative role/responsibility within the department (scheduling, etc.)
- Successful completion and ownership of performance improvement project for the department
- Consistently meets and exceeds productivity expectations
3 plus years of experience treating patients in an acute care hospital / acute rehab facility/ outpatient therapy setting with a focused clinical specialty area. Internal applicants should be in good standing within the Rehabilitation department including above ratings on the annual performance appraisal and strong attendance record.
Master's degree/Doctorate from an accredited university in Physical Therapy.
Licenses / Certifications:
Must possess license and current registration issued by the New York State Education Department as a Physical Therapist.
Thorough knowledge of human anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, neurology, neurophysiology, electrotherapy and physics; knowledge of clinical pathology, pharmacology and psychology; knowledge of the modern physical medicine equipment including care and maintenance of such equipment; knowledge of the modern physical therapy techniques and procedures including knowledge of advancement in prosthetics and orthotics; ability to prepare reports and keep accurate patient records; ability to set up and carry out a rehabilitation program based on diagnosis obtained from a physician; ability to relate to physicians, co-workers, patients and their families and other community personnel; ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the essential duties of the position; ability to effectively use computer applications such as spreadsheets, word processing, calendar, e-mail and database software in performing work assignments; integrity; initiative; tact; reliability; physical condition commensurate with the requirements of the position.
WMC Advanced Physician Services PC